Sunday, June 21, 2009

Stupid Aspartame

So, I'm used to headaches. I get them a lot. For the first week we were here, I was dealing with lack of sleep headaches & my monthly migraine, combined with caffeine withdrawal, because they have no non-brown caffeinated sodas here. (I don't like brown sodas).

But, the last couple of days, my head was still killing me, and I couldn't figure out why. My migraine should have been over, I was sleeping relatively well, and my caffeine withdrawal shouldn't have lasted so long. Then, I realized that all of the sodas I had been drinking had aspartame in them. I don't usually drink aspartame-containing beverages, because I prefer my high-fructose corn syrup. (I do really like that new Dew Throwback, with real sugar, but that's limited edition). So, I thought maybe that's what was causing it. I hadn't been drinking much water, because I abhor water that isn't cold. It reminds me of Basic, and it makes me nauseous.

I stopped drinking the aspartame sodas last night, and drank a bunch of water. Nausea be damned. My head today is soooo much better. It's amazing. I'll have a much more pleasant week next week, I think. :)

2 comments:

  1. Shoot, sorry you had to deal with that while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I know! They use aspartame in a crap-load of stuff here, too. Almost all of the orange & lemon drinks I love so much. I have to find organic versions of the sparkling lemonade that I love so much.

    ReplyDelete