Wednesday, June 24, 2009

More hitting stuff

So, since Hever & Hatfield are both about 2.5 hours away from our hotel, but only about 1.5 hours away from each other (Hever below London & Hatfield above), we decided to stay the night on the other side of London, between the two.

For some reason, after sending me through the hedges again, Bruce decided I needed to go through London, instead of around it. I think he was trying to get me away from the traffic. Well, he freaked me out, is what he did. I had no desire to drive in London. But, that's what I did. So, there was a bus lane on my left. Then, the bus lane ended, and there was a strange sidewalky bit in the middle of the lanes. It was shaped rather like a P, where I had to drive up from the bottom of the P and around the round part. Then, I had to get back over to the left quite suddenly, so the oncoming traffic didn't smash me. Well, somehow I managed to completely cut the lump off the P, and just go up over it, instead. That wouldn't have been too big a deal, had not there been a pole there. Luckily, my side mirror took the brunt of the pole instead of the body of the car. So, I drove on. But there I was, completely freaked out, with the mirror folded against the car (thank God for the person who invented the folding car mirrors), and the actual mirror was hanging out of its casing by the wires.

There are no places to pull over in England.

So, we continued to our hotel, me crying, and Em telling me that everything was OK. We finally got to the hotel, after a billion roundabouts. The hotel was at an airport, so it was roundabout after roundabout. Plus, I was confused, because we actually had to drive through the entrance to the airport to get to the hotel. The signs were marked with "short stay" and "long stay," so I thought they were talking about parking! But no, it was hotels. We found it eventually.

Luckily, the mirror popped back into place. I am soooooo lucky the whole thing wasn't smashed to bits. Most of the scratches even rubbed out of the side of the car.

I don't want to drive anymore.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the driving thing! I wish I could have given you a hug to make you feel better. I found myself saying, "aw, you poor thing," while I was reading it. The streets in Ireland are so much like you described here. They're hard for everyone so don't feel too bad. I'm glad you've been able to see so many things you have been looking forward to. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Bruce should be punished for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I definitely voiced my displeasure. However, I had to forgive him, or I wasn't going to be able to get anywhere at all.

    ReplyDelete