Thursday, June 25, 2009

6/25- Stratford part 2

When we went to Stratford on Saturday, we had limited time, since we needed to get to Stonehenge on time. So, out of the 5 Shakespeare properties, we only got to see 3. Since the ticket to see all 5 properties was cheaper than individual tickets to even see 2, we went with the 5 properties tickets. The really cool thing is that the tickets are all good for a year, so Em & I went back today to see the other two properties. It worked out perfectly, since Stratford isn't very far away, and I am still terrified of driving since the Great Hever/London Incident of Tuesday.

I was prepared to pay for the double-decker sightseeing bus this time, but Em decided to do a treasure hunt that we found instead. I'm glad she did. not only was it cheaper, but it was a lot of fun. It was a walking treasure hunt, and we really had a lovely time. We took a break for some detours to some more Shakespeare parts, and we actually finished both the treasure hunt and the houses in just the right amount of time. The treasure hunt didn't actually win anything, it was just going around the town answering questions for which you had to look pretty hard, sometimes. There were even a couple for which we couldn't find the answers.

We had lunch at the Baguette Barge - a canal boat that has been transformed into a sandwich shop. There's no seating on the barge, but there's a huge park in which to sit and eat. I got a beef & cheese sanwich, and I thought a little mustard would be nice. I thought it would be a little spicy, but I was OK with that. Holy crap, that was the spiciest mustard I have ever had in my life. It was the kind of spice that went up through my palate into my nose, and I'm pretty sure it was trying to crawl through my skull to eat my brain. Oh. My. God. I couldn't even finish the sandwich. I picked off the meat and tried to wipe off the mustard. I ate what I could of the meat, and a few shreds of the cheese. Then, I picked away the parts of the baguette that had no mustard. just thinking about it makes my throat burn.

Anyway, we went to Hall's Croft and Anne Hathaway's house. Both were quite nice. At Hall's Croft, we got to join a school group in the introduction in the parlor. It was a nice group of quiet Indian schoolgirls, so Em got to answer all of the questions. ;)

We came back to the hotel, and then we all walked downtown for dinner, and to buy all of the treats we need to bring back home. Now, we're sitting in the hotel room reading/playing on the computer. The ice cream man has now driven past 8 times, and it's driving Em nuts.

Tomorrow is Em's & my flight home, and then Max will come back Saturday. We get in very, very late.

No comments:

Post a Comment